Thantophobia means the Fear of losing someone you love. Another meaning of thanatophobia is the fear of death, i.e. when someone is afraid of death, they have thantophobia. Its origin is the Greek word thanato, which means death and phobia, which means fear.
It is normal for someone to be anxious about their health and it is also natural for someone to be anxious about their family and friends. But, in certain people, these matters can grow into more awkward fears and worries.
Symptoms and signs of thantophobia comprise dread, anxiety, and distress. Its treatment concentrates on becoming skilled at refocusing the anxieties and talking about your concerns and feelings.
Also Read: 6 Weird Phobias You Won’t Believe Exist
Risk factors of Thantophobia
Certain persons are more prone to grow the fear of death or feel fear at the idea of dying. The behaviors, habits and personality factors may be the reasons for increasing your chances of acquiring thanatophobia.
Death anxiety mounts in the 20s of a person and it declines when they are older. It is true for men as well as women. But women get a secondary point of thantophobia when they are in the 50s.
People with lower stages of humility are more liable to be anxious about their own death, and people with higher stages of humility are more eager to accept the journey of life and consequently, they are less liable to be anxious about their death.
People with more health issues feel greater anxiety and fear when they think about their future. It has been found that considerably high intensities of death worries are likely to happen in people who are in intimate relationships with a loving partner, and it is more appropriate for women than men.
Ways to overcome Thanatophobia
It can be very depressing when you have Thanatophobia, the fear of losing someone and you find it very difficult to communicate your emotion to your loving partner. But it is not necessary that you should remain depressed forever – there are ways to overcome this fear, as you will find in the following:
- Devote some time to yourself to be alone. This will give you positive energy. Relax and spend a little time alone to deal with thantophobia and to have the needed composure to overcome the fear.
- Talk to your partner. Conversing with your loving partner and expressing your fear can help because he or she will be eager to stay with you all along and your fear of losing him or her will disappear.
- Take pleasure in your important other. Get pleasure from the company of your partner and get draped in affection. As per Psychologist, Thantophobia is merely an imagination – you visualize to be in circumstances not having your partner, which scares you.
- Life is not likely to move on your way. To make it clearer, the fact is losing dear ones will occur day after day. It is not only you who are coping with it, people must benefit from living alone without getting depressed. Whether you like it or not, you are bound to lose your dear ones. If you accept it, you will be able to overcome your fear.
- Don’t strive to have power over everything. It is not possible for you to prevent each and every person in your life from going away from you. The hard reality is people will be coming and going, but you must believe in yourself and have faith in positive living.
Thantophobia, the fear of losing someone you love is very common. The above facts will help you overcome this fear.
Join the discussion below and tell us your thoughts on this article. This article was contributed through our submit article section. You can contribute too.